Use this checklist to gather the documents that you bring or upload.
Personal information for you, your spouse and your dependents
- Social Security cards (new clients only).
- Birth dates.
- Tax returns for the previous three years (new clients only).
Education & childcare payments
- Form 1098-T for tuition and other educational expenses.
- Account history from school showing transactions during the year.
- Scholarship or fellowship records.
- Form 1098-E for student loan interest.
- Amount of any alimony paid, as well as your ex-spouse’s full name and Social Security number (generally only required for pre-2019 divorces)
- Child care payment records and provider’s tax ID number (SSN or EIN).
- All W-2 forms for your earnings and taxation information.
- Forms 1099-MISC for self-employment income.
- Schedule K-1 for income from a partnership or S-corporation.
- Income records to verify amounts not reported on Forms 1099-MISC.
- If using accounting software, the Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet & General Ledger reports
- Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) to claim depreciation.
- Number of miles driven for business, for commuting, and for all other purposes
- Records of parking fees and tolls paid.
Rental property income
- Income and expense records.
- Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) to claim depreciation.
- 1099-K or other reporting forms if you rented through Airbnb.
Retirement income and contributions
- 1099-R for pension/IRA/annuity income.
- SSA-1099 for Social Security income.
- RRB-1099 for Railroad Retirement Board income.
- Form 5498 for IRA contributions.
- Traditional IRA basis for previously taxed contribution amounts.
Savings and investment
- 1099-INT, 1099-OID and 1099-DIV for interest and dividend income.
- 1099-B for income from stock sales.
- 1099-S for income from property sales.
- Acquisition dates and records of cost or other basis on sold property, if not reported on Form 1099-B.
- 1099-G for unemployment and state tax refund income.
- W-2G or other records showing gambling income, as well as expense records.
- Amount of any alimony received.
- 1099-SA for health savings account distributions.
- 1099-LTC for long-term care benefits distributions.
- Jury duty records.
- Records of hobby income and expenses.
- Records of financial prizes and awards.
- Other Forms 1099-MISC or 1099.
Affordable Care Act
- Form 1095-A for Marketplace (Exchange) enrollments.
- Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C for insurance received through an employer, insurance company or Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, VA or other government health plan.
- Marketplace exemption certificate (ECN) issued by the Marketplace Exchange.
Other deductions and credits
- Classroom expense receipts for educators of grades K-12.
- Form 5498-SA for HSA contributions.
- Form 5498-QA for ABLE account contributions.
- Form 5498-ESA for Coverdell ESA contribution.
- Form 1098 or other mortgage interest statements.
- Records of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding) or of state and local sales tax paid.
- Real estate and personal property tax records.
- Records of cash and non-cash charitable donations, or political contributions.
- Records of health insurance premiums and medical bills (if total medical expenses exceed 7.5% of income).
- Records of mileage driven for charitable or medical purposes.
- Receipts for energy-saving home improvements.
- Estimated tax payment records.